The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture Registration Instructions
Spring 2017 Registration Instructions
Registration advising (and pre-registration for Architecture electives) will take place in the School of Architecture Office, Room 301 in the Foundation Building, according to the following schedule:
Current M.Arch II students & Current 5th year students
Monday 28 November
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.,
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday 1 December 2016*
Current 3rd & 4th year students
Tuesday 29 November
8 a.m. - 12 p.m. 2 - 6 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Friday 2 December 2016*
Current 2nd year students
Wednesday 30 November
9 a.m. - 1 p.m., 2 - 6 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Monday 5 December 2016*
Current 1st year students
Thursday 1 December
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday 6 December 2016*
*Online registration starts on Student Self-Service at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday 12/1 and is prioritized by year. The closer you are to graduation the earlier you register. Your registration day starts at 12:01 a.m. Once your registration day begins, you can register at any time -- but the longer you wait the fewer options you will have -- until registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday 12/7.
A step-by-step illustrated guide to using the Student Self-Service portal can be viewed here.
Registration Rules, Regulations, Dates and Deadlines
(1) Anyone who does not complete his/her online registration by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday 12/7 will be required to register on Tuesday 17 January 2017 (on which we will be following a Monday schedule of classes) and a late registration fee of $100 will be imposed.
(2) Schedule changes may take place, via Student Self-Service, during the drop/add period at the start of the Spring semester, 17-25 January. Schedule changes must be approved by the School of Architecture Office. Beginning Thursday 26 January, no courses may be added but it will be possible to withdraw from a course with permission of the Dean of the School of Architecture and the instructor. A fee of $25 will be charged for each withdrawal. If the student is passing the course at the time of withdrawal, the designation of "W" will appear on the record. If the student is failing the course, a grade of "WF" will be recorded.
(3) NO CLASSES MAY BE ADDED AFTER THURSDAY 26 JANUARY. It will be possible to WITHDRAW from courses, with the appropriate authorization and fee payment, until the end of the sixth week of the semester (Friday 24 February) by following the above procedure.
(4) You will not be permitted to register if: (a) you have an outstanding financial obligation to The Cooper Union or The School of Architecture (b) you have not completed your paperwork - personal history forms, available in Admissions; medical forms, available in Student Services; etc. (c) you have a Shop/Printmaking debt - payable (cash or check) in the School of Architecture Office prior to or during registration.
(5) If you have an outstanding financial obligation to The Cooper Union: student fee, international student fee, lab fee, graduation fee, medical insurance fee, etc., you can find this information on Student Self Service (24/7 and before registration). If you have a Shop/Printmaking debt or owe money to the School of Architecture, you will be notified before registration and your Course Plan will not be approved until you have made your payment in the School of Architecture Office. Meeting your financial obligation BEFORE REGISTRATION will allow you to register on time when you will potentially have the most options.
(6) The Spring 2017 semester begins on Tuesday 17 January. We will be following a Monday schedule of classes.
(7) The Academic Calendar and Holiday Schedule can be found here. Please pay careful attention to important dates and scheduling irregularities.