The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture Registration Instructions
Fall 2016 Registration Instructions
Registration advising (and pre-registration for Architecture electives) will take place in the School of Architecture Office according to the following schedule:
Current M.Arch II students
Thursday, April 14
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday, April 19*
NOTE: M.Arch II students will register for their Summer 2016 semester consisting of ARCH 413 Graduate Thesis only.
Current 2nd & 3rd year students going into 3rd and 4th years respectively
Friday, April 15
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m on Wednesday, April 20*
Current 1st year students going into 2nd year
Monday, April 18
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Registration opens for you at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, April 21*
*Online registration starts on Student Self-Service at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday, April 19 and is prioritized by year. The closer you are to graduation the earlier you register. Your registration day starts at 12:01 a.m.. Once your registration day begins, you can register at any time -- but the longer you wait the fewer options you will have -- until registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 22.
A step-by-step illustrated guide to using the Student Self-Service portal can be viewed here.
Registration Rules, Regulations, Dates and Deadlines
(1) If you do not complete your online registration by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 22 it will be necessary for you to wait until Tuesday, September 6, the first day of the Fall 2016 semester, to register late and to pay a late registration fee of $100.
(2) Schedule changes may take place, via Student Self-Service, during the drop/add period at the start of the Fall semester, September 6 - 13. Schedule changes must be approved by the School of Architecture Office. Beginning Wednesday, September 14, no courses may be added but it will be possible to withdraw from a course with permission of the Dean of the School of Architecture and the instructor. A fee of $25 will be charged for each withdrawal. If the student is passing the course at the time of withdrawal, the designation of "W" will appear on the record. If the student is failing the course, a grade of "WF" will be recorded.
(3) No classed may be added after Wednesday, September 14. It will be possible to withdraw from courses, with the appropriate authorization and fee payment, until the end of the sixth week of the semester (Friday, October 14) by following the above procedure.
(4) If you have an outstanding financial obligation to The Cooper Union: student fee, international student fee, lab fee, graduation fee, medical insurance fee, etc., you can find this information on Student Self-Service and make your payment via Student Self-Service (24/7 and before registration). If you have a Shop/Printmaking debt or owe money to the School of Architecture, you will be notified before registration and your Course Plan will not be approved until you have made your payment in the School of Architecture Office. Meeting your financial obligation before registration will allow you to register on time when you will potentially have the most options.
(5) The Fall 2016 semester begins on Tuesday, September 6 -- after Labor Day! We will be following a Tuesday schedule of classes.
(6) The 2016-2017 Academic Calendar and Holiday Schedule can be found here. Please pay careful attention to important dates and scheduling irregularities, particularly during the Fall semester.