Outreach, Pre-College and Summer Programs
- Introduction to Architecture for College Students Introduction to Architecture is an intensive, full time, studio-centered summer program that offers college-level students a comprehensive overview of the culture, practice and history of architecture through the unique studio design pedagogy that has distinguished the School of Architecture for over thirty years. The program is directed towards students who wish to pursue a professional degree in architecture and seek to develop fundamental skills and an application portfolio.
- Introduction to Architecture for High School Students The Cooper Union announces a new Introduction to Architecture summer program for high school students. This four-week intensive will familiarize students with architectural thinking and design while taking advantage of The Cooper Union’s location in downtown Manhattan. Student who attend the program and successfully complete all of the assignments will receive an official Certificate of Completion from The Cooper Union.
- Retraining Program
for Immigrant Engineers Admitted participants have the opportunity to update their skills and work in their chosen fields by offering them professional courses and job placement assistance free of charge. The program includes courses in information technology as well as chemical, mechanical, electrical and civil engineering. All courses are scheduled around the needs of working professionals during weekday evenings and weekends during the day.
- Saturday Program The Saturday Program offers eight free studio art courses enrolling over 200 New York City Public High School students. Most classes meet from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays for two semesters, October through April.
- STEM Saturdays The School of Engineering’s STEM Saturdays Program challenges NYC high school students to invent “Tech for Good” to solve real-world problems they find meaningful and urgent. Students develop design, engineering, entrepreneurship, and project management skills as they work in teams to design, analyze, build, test, and present their working prototypes.
- Summer Art Intensive Through highly structured projects, this intensive summer pre-college art program prepares students to apply to undergraduate art schools. Taught by a specialized faculty of working artists, the 4-week portfolio preparation classes are combined with visits to major museums and galleries, utilizing the vast cultural resources of New York City. Guest Artists and special workshops focused on concepts and skills help students prepare their portfolios and develop college readiness.
- Summer STEM Program The School of Engineering's Summer STEM Program provides a great opportunity for high school students to tackle research and engineering design problems in a college setting. Students work in teams alongside Cooper Union faculty and undergraduate teaching assistants on hands-on projects that allow them to explore high-tech fields like robotics, digital fabrication, sustainable energy, and urban infrastructure.
- Summer Writing Program The Cooper Union Summer Writing Program is a three-week course designed to prepare students for college-level writing. The program teaches vital skills needed to do the analytical writing college requires. It is open to students who have completed high school and plan on enrolling in college.