Center for Writing
Appointments Available During Building Closure
The Center for Writing will reopen (remotely) to all Cooper students and alumni on Monday, March 23rd, the first day of the scheduled study week after spring break. Ongoing sessions will continue as scheduled, and a number of one-time sessions will be available.
Until campus reopens for classes, all Center sessions will be held via Teams video chat.
About the Center for Writing
The Center for Writing offers support and feedback on all types of written and spoken communication for the students, staff and faculty at Cooper Union. Writing Associates are experienced classroom instructors, with advanced degrees and a special interest in writing pedagogy. Our mission is to improve student writing across the curriculum and to support faculty in the teaching of writing and in their own writing.
We work with students at all levels of experience on all sorts of issues relating to reading, writing, and speech.
While the Center’s main charge is to offer one-on-one and small group sessions, we also oversee several initiatives that contribute to our mission:
- Union: A Journal of Student Writing
- The Cooper Union Writing Group
- The Writing Fellows Program
One-on-one or small-group sessions may focus on:
- All stages of course assignments, projects and presentations
- Outside or independent work
- Grant, graduate, and fellowship proposals and applications
- Particular issues, skills, or concerns, including ESL and learning disabilities
- Strategies for effective reading, writing, and presentations
- Want to learn how to write a college-level essay instead of a high-school-level report
- Need to learn how to create an essay without last-minute panic
- Be looking for tools on how to start an essay, outline, write in stages, and edit
- Need to talk through ideas or be looking for a sounding board
- Want an impartial critic to take a look at your work
- Want to learn how to plan a presentation
- Require a mediator or guide for group projects
- Want help with ESL issues, learning difficulties or confidence issues
- Bring projects at any stage of development to a session at the Center.
Center for Writing
41 Cooper Square
3rd Floor, south end of building
General Information (no messages, please): (212) 353-4218
Monday - Friday: 10 am to 6 pm