Transfer – Architecture
For fall 2022 transfer applicants, our Early Decision deadline is Wednesday, December 1, 2021 and our Regular Decision deadline is Wednesday, January 5, 2022.
You may apply for transfer to The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture if:
- you have completed at least one year of an accredited architecture program elsewhere by June of the year for which you are applying,
- OR by June you hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in a discipline other than architecture,
- OR you can submit a portfolio of your creative work and you have begun studies in a discipline related to architecture.
The 2022 application will go live Monday, August 9, 2021, please check back!
- A completed application
- A completed Studio Test (sent via email after the application submission deadline)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Your official high school transcript or GED certificate
- All official college transcripts (sent directly from the college or university)
- $75 Application Fee, or fee waiver (if applicable)
Dates and Deadlines
Application deadline – Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Studio Test email – Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Studio Test submission deadline – Wednesday, January 5, 2022
Application notification – Tuesday, February 1, 2022
Application deadline – Wednesday, January 5, 2022
Studio Test released – Friday, January 7, 2022
Studio Test submission deadline – Friday, February 4, 2022
Application notification – Friday, April 1, 2022
English Language Proficiency Requirements for International Students
Undergraduate applicants whose native language is not English and have not had at least 3 years of English at a school where English was the official medium of instruction are required to take one of the exams below. Please note that your English Language Proficiency test results are only valid for two years. Please ensure that the name on your passport matches the name on your application, and on your language scores..
Test for English Language Proficiency
Minimum Score Requirements
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
600 (paper-based test)
100 (internet-based test)
MyBest™ scores are not accepted
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
DET (Duolingo English Test)
120 (current exam)
75 (testing date before July 2019)
Note: If admitted, transfer students are offered admission into a specific year of the five-year design sequence. Placement in the design sequence is a condition of the offer of admission and not subject to further review or appeal. By accepting the offer of admission, the transfer student agrees to this placement and acknowledges his/her anticipated graduation date.
Due to the small size of the programs, the deferral of an offer of admission to the Bachelor of Architecture (undergraduate) is not permitted.