Transfer – Architecture
For fall 2023 applicants, our Early Decision deadline is Thursday, December 1, 2022 and our Regular Decision deadline is Thursday, January 5, 2023.
Our 2023 application will be live by September, 2022.
You may apply for transfer to The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture if:
- You have completed at least one year of an accredited architecture program elsewhere by June of the year for which you are applying;
- OR by June you hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in a discipline other than architecture;
- OR you can submit a portfolio of your creative work and you have begun studies in a discipline related to architecture.
- A completed application
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Your official high school transcript or GED certificate
- All official college transcripts (sent directly from the college or university)
- $75 application fee or fee waiver (if applicable)
- After students have submitted the required application, they will be asked to complete a supplemental Studio Test (instructions to appear in your applicant portal once the test is released)
- A portfolio (to be submitted with the Studio Test)
English Language Proficiency Requirements for International Students
Undergraduate applicants whose native language is not English and have not had at least 3 years of English at a school where English was the official medium of instruction, are required to take one of the exams below. Please note that your English language proficiency test results are only valid for two years. Please ensure that the name on your passport matches the name on your application, and on your language scores..
Test for English Language Proficiency
Minimum Score Requirements
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
600 (paper-based test)
100 (internet-based test)
MyBest™ scores are not accepted
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
DET (Duolingo English Test)
We do not accept results from the following exams: IELTS Indicator, TOEFL ITP Plus for China, TOEFL Essentials, and PTE Academic Online.
Note: If admitted, transfer students are offered admission into a specific year of the five-year design sequence. Placement in the design sequence is a condition of the offer of admission and not subject to further review or appeal. By accepting the offer of admission, the transfer student agrees to this placement and acknowledges his/her anticipated graduation date.
Due to the small size of the programs, the deferral of an offer of admission to the Bachelor of Architecture (undergraduate program) is not permitted.