Master of Science in Architecture
The Master of Science in Architecture program (formerly Master of Architecture II*) will serve professionals who wish to continue in practice with higher research and design skills in those areas in which the program offers specialization. It will additionally prepare those who wish to develop parallel careers in teaching and/or continue to engage in research toward an appropriate Ph.D. degree at another institution.
Exciting update: The Master of Science in Architecture program is now designated as a STEM program, making international M.S. Arch graduates eligible to extend their F-1 visas for up to three years in order to work in the United States.
The Master of Science in Architecture is open to applicants who:
- Hold the degree of Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch), the Master of Architecture I (M.Arch I) or an equivalent degree from an international institution.
- Have completed a minimum of one year of work experience after obtaining their first professional degree.
Application Deadlines and other application requirements:
- To apply for the program starting in Spring 2021, the deadline is Tuesday, September 15, 2020.
- To apply for the program starting in Fall 2021, the deadline is Tuesday, January 5, 2021.
- Master of Science in Architecture Application
- A nonrefundable application fee of $75
- Official academic records (transcripts) from all colleges and universities from which you have received credit
- TOEFL, IELTS, or DET score is required if you have less than three years of study in English.
- Recommendation letters (three are required)
- Written Essay: The essay should succinctly explain your interest in the Master of Science in Architecture program as well as the specified area of concentration
- Portfolio: Applicants must submit a portfolio via regular mail that includes the most important and representative design and written work. The portfolio should consist of professional, academic and/or scholarly work. It should be bound into a brochure no larger than 9" x 12" (overall size). Applicant should not submit CDs, slides, loose sheets or original drawings. Simple packaging is preferred. (Please note, we do not accept portfolios electronically.)
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Though we typically have not accepted portfolios electronically, we are accepting portfolios electronically (and only electronically) for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle. If you are applying for Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 admission, you will be able to upload your portfolio within the Master of Science in Architecture Application linked above.
- Potential candidates may be required to be available and make necessary arrangements for a personal interview.
- While we make every attempt to conduct interviews remotely, any interview expenses will be the responsibility of the candidate.
Deferral of an Offer of Admission from the School of Architecture: Due to the small size of the programs, the deferral of an offer of admission to the Bachelor of Architecture (undergraduate) and/or Master of Science in Architecture (graduate) program is not permitted.
Click here for complete degree requirements.
*On September 23, 2019, the New York State Education Department approved the name change of the Master of Architecture II program to Master of Science in Architecture.