Introduction to Architecture Online: Hardware Specifications and Software Installation Instructions
- Cooper Union Email
- Hardware Specifications
- Required Accessories
- Required Software
- How to Install Software
- Optional 3-D Printer and Filament
Students in the program will receive a temporary Cooper Union email address after you register for the Summer Program. Please use this email to communicate with your instructor and TAs for the duration of the program. It is also recommended that you use Cooper email when purchasing or downloading free software.
Most software used in the School of Architecture Summer Program can run on either Mac or Windows Operating Systems. However, Rhino 6 for Windows has far wider plugin support than Rhino 6 for Mac and is therefore the preferred operating system of most faculty and students. Windows 10 can be run on Apple laptops with the right specifications.
- Webcam or on-board camera
- Multi-button Mouse with scroll wheel
- MS Office 365 (A1 License): provided with a Cooper Union Email address and MS Teams; students are recommended to download and set up this account first at start of the course). [Download Here]
- Adobe CC License: 2 months for $19.99/month; see installation instructions below. [Download Here]
- Rhino: 90 Day Trial; see installation instructions below. For Windows users [download here]. For Mac users [download here].
- Zoom: Free student license. [Download Here]
- Cura: Free software for 3-D printing. [Download Here]
Basic Software Tutorials
Students are advised to become familiar with the following platforms to prepare for class instruction and interaction:
- Follow the appropriate download link depending on whether you are using a Mac [download here] or a PC [download here].
- Enter your Cooper Union email address and press "next".
- Press "download".
- On a Mac: find the DMG installer in your browser's "Downloads" folder and double-click the installer icon. This will require your local Administrator password.
- On a PC: find the installer in the "Downloads" folder and run it.
- Open Rhino and, once open, it will prompt an update, if needed.
In order to get an educational discount, we advise that you procure a Cooper Union e-mail address prior to subscribing for an Adobe CC License.
- Follow the download link.
- Purchase the Annual Plan, paid monthly at $19.99/month and cancelled at any time.*
- Your Adobe Username will be your Cooper Union e-mail address.
- Sign in to creativecloud.adobe.com/apps
- Download the Adobe Apps needed.
*Summer Program students will need to cancel their Adobe CC subscription at the end of the program through their Adobe Account page. If they do not cancel, Adobe will continue to bill them monthly.
For students who are interested in purchasing a relatively affordable 3-D printer for physical model fabrication, this is an option. The aforementioned 3-D printer utilizes PLA filament which can be purchased here. White or black filament colors are recommended.