Neveen Shlayan (EE), Austin Wade Smith (Arch)
Develop long-term design framework around modular agricultural systems. Facilitate growth of multiple related projects from this framework.
- Food security
- Autonomous food production
- Smart (urban) agriculture
- “Efficient” space usage
- Community development/engagement
Subteams will be divided into themes/sections, rather than specific projects. Students will not be constrained to any one team which would allow for "cross-pollination" of knowledge sets: –Modeling –IoT –Agriculture –Outreach/recruiting
Open source development, IoT, Iterative design process.
All engineering majors, art, and architecture.
1. Background/interest in:
- Food agriculture, food justice, and food networks
- "Smart" city futures
- Sustainability and equity
- Intersectional environmentalism
- Open source IoT
- Fabrication/making methods
2. Experience with or willingness to learn:
- Working in a team
- Clear communication skills
- Project development & organization
- Multiple plant growth methods, in both hydroponic & soil-based realms
- Microcontroller & sensing network I/O
- Modeling methods
- Assembly/hand tool methods
- Management and collaboration software
3. Completion of:
- EID 101 (or similar introductory design course)
Please contact Brandon Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.