Type Design for Non-Type Designers
Instructor(s): Matteo Bologna and Rainer Erich Scheichelbauer
2 In-Person Sessions (Important: please read policies below)
Sunday, June 19 & Monday, June 29, 2022
9:00 am–5:00 pm
LOCATION: Cooper Union Campus
IMPORTANT: to participate in classes on campus
- Please be prepared to arrive up to 30 minutes early on the first class to present proof of vaccination, booster and a state issued picture ID in the lobby of 41 Cooper Square.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the school.
- A school ID will be issued so you can enter all subsequent weeks by showing it to the guards. A photo will be taken on the first evening of your class for the ID card.
- Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed access to campus buildings.
- If you are not able to arrive up to 30 minutes before class on the first session or within 1 hour of the start of the first class session, please request to withdraw from class by email. Policies apply.
Typographics “in-person” attendees can receive a 10% discount on this workshop. Look for the discount code on the ticket confirmation from Eventbrite.
Get a fun crash course in designing type from your couch, with Matteo Bologna (Mucca Design) and Rainer Scheichelbauer (Glyphs).
In this two-day class, you will learn the basics of designing and generating a variable font with the font-design software Glyphs (Mac only). Go beyond choosing the same typefaces from the type menu to creating your own.
In the Sunday session, we will learn the basics of drawing a font, generate the font, and use it in an Adobe app or a web browser. In the afternoon, we will add additional letters to the font, learning how to space them, add diacritics and punctuation.
On Monday, we add a wide version of the same typeface, create a variable font—and make it animate in a web browser.
At the end of the class, you will not have a finished font, but a respectable start and a deep understanding about how fonts are made. And maybe you’ll become a type design addict. You have been warned.
- Get online with your Mac (macOS 10.11+, no Windows, sorry) and [Glyphs 3](http://updates.glyphsapp.com/latest3.php) preinstalled. The trial version suffices.
- No prior experience is required in font design, but some experience with Bézier-based vector drawing tools is useful
- Participants receive an extended trial license for Glyphs 3 and can purchase their own full license at a discount.
Students will need to show their vaccine card at the guards' desk upon entrance. You must be boosted and wear a mask indoors.
IMPORTANT: This class will be held in-person on campus, but if you want to join virtually, we can send you a Zoom link to take the class remotely. Enroll as usual but send us an email to let us know you want to join virtually.
Course Code: TD22