Code x Kinetic Type
Instructor(s): Lynne Yun and Kevin Yeh
3 In-Person Sessions (Important: please read policies below)
Monday, June 13–Wednesday, July 15, 2022
10:00 am to 5:00 pm
LOCATION: Cooper Union Campus
IMPORTANT: to participate in classes on campus
- Please be prepared to arrive up to 30 minutes early on the first class to present proof of vaccination, booster and a state issued picture ID in the lobby of 41 Cooper Square.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the school.
- A school ID will be issued so you can enter all subsequent weeks by showing it to the guards. A photo will be taken on the first evening of your class for the ID card.
- Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed access to campus buildings.
- If you are not able to arrive up to 30 minutes before class on the first session or within 1 hour of the start of the first class session, please request to withdraw from class by email. Policies apply.
Typographics “in-person” attendees can receive a 10% discount on this workshop. Look for the discount code on the ticket confirmation from Eventbrite.
Typography as we know it has taken on many different shapes: we've cast them into metal, cut them out of woodblocks, painted them across awnings and signs, and scrawled them onto our most personal letters.
Although the printed word may be static and inaccessible, the type that we interact with on our screens is not. Typography on the web can be kinetic; malleable; and interactive. With the aid of programming, digital letterforms can be playful and reactive to its environment and the people that view them. New tools and frameworks have been developed over the last decade that present us with opportunities to shape the content on our screens — and anyone can learn to use these tools.
During the course of three days, students will solidify their understanding of the concept of programming, gain familiarity with the p5.js library, and create typographic projects of computational nature.
- A laptop computer, power cord and extension cord
This class is limited to 16. Students will need to show their vaccine card at the guards' desk upon entrance. You must be boosted and wear a mask indoors.
Course Code: KT22