Brush Script Lettering
Instructor(s): Ken Barber
2 In-Person Sessions (Important: please read policies below)
Monday, June 13 & Tuesday, June 14, 2022
10:00 am–5:00 pm
LOCATION: Cooper Union Campus
IMPORTANT: to participate in classes on campus
- Please be prepared to arrive up to 30 minutes early on the first class to present proof of vaccination, booster and a state issued picture ID in the lobby of 41 Cooper Square.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the school.
- A school ID will be issued so you can enter all subsequent weeks by showing it to the guards. A photo will be taken on the first evening of your class for the ID card.
- Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed access to campus buildings.
- If you are not able to arrive up to 30 minutes before class on the first session or within 1 hour of the start of the first class session, please request to withdraw from class by email. Policies apply.
Typographics “in-person” attendees can receive a 10% discount on this workshop. Look for the discount code on the ticket confirmation from Eventbrite.
It's hard to match the warmth and appeal of highly adaptable brush script lettering. Friendly and flexible, the conversational tone of brush letters make them ideal for a wide range of applications, from advertisements and editorials to packaging and logo design.
During this his two-day info-packed workshop you’ll gain a fundamental understanding of pointed-brush script letterforms. With the help of assorted tools, techniques, and reference models, you’ll learn the basics of the style one stroke at a time, before honing your drawing skills to take a wordmark from concept to completion. Comprehensive slide presentations, live drawing demonstrations, insightful skill-building exercises, and one-on-one personal critiques will provide further guidance as you acquire a practical foundation for writing, drawing, and applying brush script lettering in a variety of design contexts.
In this workshop, you’ll learn:
• the origins of commercial brush script lettering
• how to construct brush letterforms stroke by stroke
• techniques for using common writing and drawing tools
• how to size and space cursive brush letters
• methods for modifying hand-drawn brush script
• strategies for composing eye-catching lettering layouts
• how to effectively implement brush script in your own personal and professional lettering work
You’ll need the following materials for the workshop:
• No.2 pencils (conventional or mechanical)
• pencil sharpener, if applicable
• pad of tracing paper, at least 8.5″ x 11″
• Sharpie® Fine and Extra Fine markers
• adhesive tape for posting sketches
• a copy of House Industries Lettering Manual is not required, but it’s highly recommended
A pair of brush markers will be supplied to participants for a materials fee of $10, payable to the instructor at the beginning of the workshop.
Please note that this workshop focuses on manual exercises using pointed brush markers and conventional analog drawing instruments. Although students will not be using any electronic tablets or software, the principles and practices introduced in this class are applicable to digital environments.
Course Code: BL22