Please see the COVID-19 & International Students FAQ for information regarding the impact of the coronavirus on international students.
Visit our COVID-19 webpage for ongoing updates on the COVID-19 virus and the Cooper community.
At Cooper Union, we value the importance of a diverse student body. As such, we attract and enroll students from around the world. We welcome all students to apply regardless of immigration status. Please note that immigration status is not considered in your application review and decision.
We seek inquisitive, motivated individuals who desire to put their ideas to work making an impact on society. As an all-honors private college with a historic mission of fair access to education, The Cooper Union awards a half-tuition scholarship to every admitted undergraduate student.
All applicants are evaluated holistically, though specific admissions and credit requirements vary for each of the three professional schools. ISSO is not involved in the admission process.
Please go to the application procedure page for information on admissions requirements for each program of study.
Definition: International students are those who do not hold U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.
Financial Aid: International students are not eligible for Federal or State Financial Aid. However, they are eligible for the half-tuition scholarship and additional merit aid.
English Language Proficiency Requirement: Cooper Union does not require TOEFL, IELTS, or DET scores for applicants:
- Whose native language is English
- Who have attended 3 years of high school or more where English is the primary language of instruction
- Who have earned a four-year degree from a U.S. college/university or from a university where English is the primary language of instruction (minimum of three years attendance)
Everyone else is required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or DET (Duolingo English Testing) Scores per the below requirements. Your scores must be submitted directly by the testing service to email@example.com.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): A minimum score of 600 (paper-based test) or 100 (Internet-based test) is necessary for admission to The Cooper Union. Cooper Union accepts only TOEFL iBT® scores by test administration date (e.g. full test administration results for one sitting) and does not accept MyBest™ scores. You may send multiple results for consideration.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): A minimum score of 7.0 is necessary for admission to The Cooper Union.
- DET (Duolingo English Test): A minimum score of 120 on the current DET (or 75 on the DET prior to July 2019) is necessary for admission to Cooper Union.
- All applicants to The Cooper Union are required to submit scores from the SAT exam or ACT exam.
- Make sure the name on your passport matches your name on the application, and on your language scores.
- All high school and college transcripts must be translated into English, notarized and sent to The Cooper Union.
- Students planning to attend Cooper Union as an F-1 international student will need a Form I-20. To obtain a Form I-20 from Cooper Union, you will be required to submit an I-20 Request Form with supporting documents to International Student Services Office (ISSO). Please review next steps here.
- International students are assessed a fee of $1,005 per semester.
- In addition to the international student fee, please click here to review all costs of attendance.
- Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org