Complete the Student Interest Form to be notified when applications for 2024 open.
Service Scholars is a leadership and community service internship program for 10th and 11th grade women attending a public school in New York City. Prior experience in an out-of-school STEM enrichment program (Summer STEM, STEM Saturdays, Girls Who Code, STEM From Dance, First Robotics, etc.) is required. In addition to learning engineering in a Summer STEM class and leadership and skills through workshops, STEM Scholars will work with a Cooper Union student mentor on a community service project at partner site.
- Explore culturally relevant applications of design and engineering.
- Improve communication skills.
- Develop relationships with peers, professionals, and community members interested in applying STEM skills to improving their neighborhoods and cities.
- Gain experience talking to a variety of people from elementary students to engineers to community elders.
- Complete 30 hours of community service and receive a certificate
- $1500 Stipend and full fee waiver for a six-week Summer STEM class
- Metrocards for travel to and from the Summer STEM program and community service site
- Participate in a Six Week Summer STEM Class
- Participate in Community Service activities at a partner site in NYC Fridays, 9 am to 3 pm
- Attend training in June or July (dates TBD)
- Participate in communication and career workshops on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30 to 5 pm during Summer STEM
- Live in New York City and attend a high school in New York City
- A 10th or 11th grade student in June 2024
- Enrolled in a Summer STEM class.
- Self-identify as a woman or girl
- Motivated with a demonstrated interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), including experience in an out-of-school STEM program in middle or high school