Building Access Policy
Access to the Foundation Building and 41 Cooper Square is only allowed during posted building hours.
Students, Faculty and Staff
Students, faculty and staff seeking entry to our academic buildings (41 Cooper Square and The Foundation Building at 7 East 7th Street) must swipe in with a current Cooper Union ID card at the security desk in each building. To swipe in, tap your ID card on the card reader at the desk. If you have forgotten or lost your ID card you will be permitted to enter after the security officer verifies that you are an active staff/faculty/student. Students must sign-in the log at the security desk. Replacement ID cards can be obtained from the Facilities Management Office in Room 111 of 41 Cooper Square, or by emailing email@example.com.
To enter our academic buildings, visitors must present valid photo identification (driver’s license, DMV issued non-driver id, passport or military identification) to the security officer and sign in. The security officer will contact the person being visited to confirm the appointment. Should staff or faculty be expecting a visitor, this information can be emailed ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the visitor is going to an event, the security officer will confirm the details of the event with the visitor.
Student Guest Policy (Academic Buildings)
- No visitors can be admitted to The Cooper Union without written permission. Requests for a Visitor Pass must be made through the Department Office of each school during regular business hours (Monday through Friday 9:00AM - 5:00PM) Visitors are not permitted on campus after 10:00pm.
- The student must present the Visitor Pass obtained from the department’s office to the security desk in order to admit the visitor. All visitors to The Cooper Union’s academic buildings must present a photo ID (driver’s license, DMV issued non-driver’s ID, passport, military identification). Visitors must also sign the Guest Log located at the security desk. Visitors must be prepared to show the Visitor Pass to security officers upon request while they are on campus and must surrender the pass to the security desk once their visit has ended.
- The guest pass, when issued by a Deans’ or Director’s office, reads "Void." To use the pass, the visitor will present the pass to a security officer at either academic building. The security officer will confirm the visitor’s identification and will then place a special white sticker over the word “Void”, activating the pass. The pass will "self-expire" 24 hours later as the word “Void” bleeds through the white sticker.
- Due to strict liability and insurance considerations, visitors may not use any of the technical facilities or equipment of the school and may not assist students with the construction of their projects.
In addition to the public spaces open on campus alumni have access to the following using their Alumni ID card:
- The Library, in the Foundation Building, except during extended hours at the end of each semester
- The Alumni Roof Terrace, in 41 Cooper Square, during the following hours:
- September 1st through May 31st Monday – Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
- June 1st through August 31st Monday – Thursday 9:00am to 5:00pm
For access outside of these hours, permission must be obtained from a current faculty or staff member, and the information sent to email@example.com from a valid Cooper Union email address.
Alumni are not permitted to bring any guests on campus without approval of the Office of Alumni Affairs and Development.
Alumni may be required by campus security to display a state-issued ID in tandem with their Alumni ID card.
Campus access privileges may be revoked at any time at the discretion of the Campus Safety and Security Manager.
You may request an Alumni ID card from the Office of Alumni Affairs and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.