Online Resources: The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture
While in-person classes are suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, here are key resources for online learning.
Communications from the Dean
Dean Nader Tehrani has been providing students, faculty and staff of the School of Architecture with weekly updates on COVID-19 related developments at The Cooper Union. To view these messages, please click on the links below:
- March 16 – Reimagining Pedagogy in the Age of COVID-19
- March 23 – COVID-19 Update
- March 30 – COVID-19 Update
- April 12 - Looking Beyond the Pandemic: Lessons, Translations, and Projections
The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture Fall 2020 Registration Instructions
Registration advising (and pre-registration for Architecture electives) has been adapted in order to be done online. You may access registration instructions here.
Information Technology Resources
In an effort to transition The Cooper Union learning platforms online, the IT Department has extended remote capabilities and resources to support digital production:
- Classroom Technology Request Form Spring 2021
- Remote Software & Technology Request Form for Students Spring 2021 (for Rhino and Adobe CC access)
- The Digital Architecture Studio is Open for Remote 3D Printing and Plotter Submissions
For a full description of IT Resources, please go to the IT website.
- Photographs of Student Work
Each semester the Architecture Archive photographs student work selected by faculty for inclusion in the Student Work Collection. This applies to Design Studios (Architectonics – Thesis); Building Technology; Freehand Drawing; Advanced Drawing; Representation; and M.Arch II Design Studios. Students may purchase photographs of their own work for $5 per image. To do so, please contact Chris Dierks, who will provide you with contact sheets, payment information, and your purchased photos. If you’re not sure whether your work was documented for a specific semester, please feel free to inquire with Chris.
- Student Work Submissions
At the end of the Spring 2020 semester the Archive will reach out students whose work has been selected by faculty for documentation. Given the recent shift to predominantly digital media, students may find it helpful to reference the Archive’s submission guidelines as the semester progresses.
The School of Architecture will be presenting online lectures and events for the remainder of the spring semester. Invited lecturers will present their work for public discussion and Q&As with remote audiences. In addition to offering open access to all, we are partnering with other educational institutions to create opportunities for greater engagement within the architecture community at this time. A list of upcoming remote programs can be viewed here: Spring 2021 Lectures and Events List.
An archive of lectures can be viewed on our Vimeo channel and their respective web listing.
Important Resources for Students
- Cooper Care
- Center for Writing
- Cooper Union Library
- Internet Access
- Meditation, Exercise, and More...
Remote New York
Although we are all working remotely, you can still visit local institutions virtually. Here are some of Cooper's neighbors to keep you abreast of changes around us:
- The Architectural League of New York
- AIA New York / Center for Architecture
- Storefront for Art and Architecture
- The Public Theater
- The New Museum
- International Center for Photography
- Merchant's House Museum
- Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation
Many New York cultural institutions are celebrating their content online:
- Asia Society
- Brooklyn Museum
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Museum of Modern Art
- MoMA PS1
- The Morgan Library & Museum
- Museum of the City of New York
- New York Botanical Garden
- New York Historical Society
- Queens Museum
- Whitney Museum of American Art
- The Ultimate Guide to Virtual E-Learning, Museum, and Online Resources
Stay informed with news for the architecture community:
- Archinect News
- The Architect's Newspaper
AN's Trading Notes; Leaders, Thinkers, Solvers
Livestreaming every Friday at 1PM EST
- Complimentary Access to PidgeonDigital for The Cooper Union
- World Architecture News
Architecture-related Art, Culture and Entertainment:
- AN's Picks for Architecture-themed Movies and Shows
- Art Shows in the Age of Pandemics: 10 Virtual Festivals and Fairs to Check out
- GVSHP's Epic Greenwich Village and East Village Watch-list
- Moving Image Archive
- Curbed New York's Picks for the Best New York City Documentaries to Stream Right Now
- 10 Streamable Titles for Design Lovers in the Age of Social Distancing