Vice President of Enrollment Services
Posted On: October 19, 2018
Hours: Full Time
The Cooper Union Story
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, established in 1859, is among the nation's oldest and most distinguished institutions of higher education. The college, founded by inventor, industrialist and philanthropist, Peter Cooper, offers a world-class education in art, architecture and engineering as well as an outstanding faculty of humanities and social sciences. From the start, Cooper Union was a unique institution, dedicated to Peter Cooper's proposition that education is the key not only to personal prosperity but to civic virtue and harmony. The Cooper Union is a living laboratory that has advanced and shaped our country and civic thought for over 150 years. The Cooper Union has stood for more than a century as a bastion of free speech and a center for debate of the vital issues of civic leadership. That discussion continues today. As the College looks forward to rediscover Cooper’s many strengths, the College is developing a new strategic plan that drives toward an even more vibrant, sustainable, inclusive future.
The Vice President of Enrollment Services will lead the Cooper Union’s recruitment efforts, working in partnership with School Academic leadership to carry out an enrollment plan that enhances The Cooper Union’s ability to attract, enroll, and retain a diverse community of talented students from local, regional, national and international recruitment. The Vice President will execute an enrollment strategy that is forward-looking, data-informed, and continually assessed and refined. This position will be responsible for building and leading a financial aid and registrar’s office that meets the needs of prospective and current students through efficient, high-quality operations and proactive communication with students and partners across the institution regarding financial aid and scheduling needs.
Recruitment and Admissions:
- Work as a collaborative member of the senior leadership team to provide strategic vision, leadership, planning, program development and implementation, and budget management .
- Present actionable data and information to President and Cabinet for the purpose of reporting on functional are as of responsibility, as well as strategic and tactical planning.
- Develop and implement effective enrollment plans and strategies along with Deans and faculty committees including a strategy to continually improve the Cooper Union ability to attract and retain a qualified, diverse student population.
- Ensure admission s team is successful in generating awareness about the Cooper Union, and enrollment growth / recruitment, targeting students interested in careers in art, architecture and engineering.
- Provide direction in collection, organization, and analysis of data in order to monitor the success of the recruitment and retention programs of the Cooper Union.
- Partner with the director of communication to craft effective marketing and outreach plans that communicate the distinctive elements of The Cooper Union and attract students who can benefit from and thrive in a Cooper Union education.
- Represent The Cooper Union College with high school administrators, college and university committees and associations in a manner that will emulate the mission and values of Cooper Union in an way that attracts the best and brightest from the broadest segment of schools as possible.
- Lever age comprehensive financial aid services to maximize financial support for students within clearly defined budget parameters.
- Develop a financial aid strategy that best leverages institutional, federal and state aid to meet student’s needs and Cooper Union’s enrollment goals.
- Develop an annual financial aid budget for new and continuing students in partnership with the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- Develop realistic new student enrollment and revenue goals for the annual operational budget and provide future new student enrollment projections for the purposes of forecasting in partnership with the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Office of the Registrar and its staff including overseeing the creation of the university academic calendar, each term's master schedule, registration timing/details, and final exam schedules; coordination of grade submission and change of grade processes; coordination of the effort to effectively automate processes that enhance the user experience for students, faculty, and staff and the tracking and monitoring of data for institutional results.
- Engage internal and external constituents in the recruitment process and retention efforts.
- Provide internal leadership for the department, including developing and nurturing a high-quality team and efficient, high-quality operations.
- Provide proactive external leadership, representing Cooper effectively and building relationships with schools, guidance counselors, faculty, parents and students.
- Lead efforts to ensure that the student body is diverse.
- An understanding of best practices in enrollment management, data-driven decision m a king, and demonstrated success in an enrollment management role is expected.
- The ideal candidate also will demonstrate excellent communication skills, effective leadership and team building skills, experience with target marketing and market segmentation and data collection analysis, and experience in the development and implementation of long-range enrollment plans.
- Experience creating a supportive environment for students particularly as they transition to college life and navigate the complexities of federal, state, private, and school aid and of a rigorous academic program.
- Experience in man aging student information systems, budget oversight, experience with financial aid.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external constituents and represent an institution to a broad segment of academic communities.
- An understanding of financial aid strategy with a preference for someone who has managed financial aid leadership.
- Experience managing the Registrar; collaborating with academic leadership to build calendars, management academic performance towards graduation requirements and support of students’ and graduates’ need s for records.
- Ability and interest in working in a transitioning institution with the ability to make a significant impact in developing and supporting leading-edge practices for recruitment, financial aid and the registrar’s office.
- Commitment to diversity with a experience identifying opportunities to build a program to attract and retain a diverse student population.
- Fifteen or more years of leadership in enrollment management is required.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
This is a non-union position.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
30 Cooper Square, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org