Designated Student Officer
Posted On: February 25, 2019
Hours: Part Time
- Advises F-1 students on issues including but not limited to I-20 requirements and issuance, pre-arrival information, orientation, rules for maintaining F-1 status, travel/reentry, and work authorization.
- Presents and participates in student programming for international students such as orientation and employment workshops
- Assists F-1 students with applications for benefits such as CPT, OPT, RCL, On-campus Employment, and Severe Hardship
- Tracks international admits and advises students on procedures needed to become an international student at Cooper
- Advises students in other statuses and tracks those in the process of changing status
- Maintains and updatse student records in order to complete timely reporting to DHS
- Completes all DSO reporting requirements in a timely manner
- Acts as a liaison to other departments, faculty, and staff on immigration issues
- Remains up to date on changing USCIS and DHS regulations, policies, and procedures
- Assists with communication plan design and deployment to international students
- Creates printed and website materials regarding immigration rules and advisement
- Collaborates with the Office of Student Affairs on programming to facilitate the on-campus integration of international students
- Other duties or projects as assigned
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
- 2-3 years of administrative experience in an international student services, international education, or immigration advising role.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong intercultural communication skills
- Highly organized and strong interpersonal skills
- Proven leadership ability
- Ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally, including emergency phone if needed
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience as a DSO and/or ARO preferred
- Experience with Colleague preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
This is a non-union position.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
30 Cooper Square, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org