Principles of Typeface Design: Online
This class will be held online. Class size will be limited to 16 students to insure plenty of individual feedback during the course.
10 Wednesday evenings, June 3 to August 5, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Always wanted to make your own typeface but dont know where to start? This ten-week course takes you through the process step-by-step. You’ll be introduced to the principles of typeface design, sketching methods, the tools, and the processes involved in making a working font.
Together we’ll explore idea generation methods and how to push your creative boundaries to discover new and exciting letterforms. You’ll learn how to sketch type, write a typeface brief, and use a font editor to professionally draw and space your font.
Beginners with a knowledge of Bézier drawing tools are welcome, as are more experienced participants, and those interested in developing their portfolio for application to further type design studies.
Please note: The content of the first five classes is essential to prepare you for the final half of the course. If you are unable to attend one of these classes we will try our best to help you catch up. If you know in advance you cannot attend, please consider signing up for the class next term so you get the most out of the course.
- 1 x Higgins Eternal Ink (Item 108)
- 1 x Nikko G Nib (Item N113)
- 1 x Brause Calligraphy Nib (Item N02) OR Brause Left-hand Nib (Item N06)
- 1 x Speedball Plastic Pen Holder (Item H69)
- 1 x Borden & Riley Paris Paper for Pens 9 x 12 (Item P40)
- above items available here
- 1 x Sharpie 32001 Twin-Tip black
- 1 x Bic Wite-out Shake’n Squeeze Correction Pen
- Mac OS X 10.10+
- Adobe InDesign
- A free 1-year student license for RoboFont will be made available to all participants
- Zoom Video Conferencing app
- Slack app (an invitation to the class group will be sent to you)
- access to a B&W laser printer is recommended for printing work sheets and templates
Registration for this class opens Wednesday, January 8th.
Course Code: 117572
Instructor(s): Troy Leinster