School of Engineering Admitted Student FAQ

Our general student FAQ is located here

Please select one of the content tabs, and associated dropdown panels to view answers to our frequently asked questions:


  1. Orientation
  2. Registration
  3. Housing and Student Life 
  4. Enrollment, Policies, Etc.
  5. Financial Aid
  6. Work Study
  7. Health Insurance
  8. International Students
  9. Key Contacts

1. Pre-Arrival and Orientation

  • I was told I need to set up my unique CooperID. How do I go about that?

    • Set up your unique CooperID by following the instructions here. Please be sure to activate this account as soon as possible as you will receive important communications from financial aid, the registrar, and student affairs through your email. The guide to using our student portal is here.

      If you have any difficulty, contact If you would like to use a different name than the one that appears on your Cooper Union email, contact in the office of student affairs. 

  • When is orientation and what parts of orientation do I need to attend?

    • The Cooper Union orientation is a mandatory program for all new and transfer undergraduate students. 

      The office of student affairs will be in touch regarding orientation over the summer. During orientation, you will learn about your academic program, meet key faculty and staff, meet your classmates, and learn important information that will be essential to your studies at Cooper. International students will attend this orientation in addition to an international student orientation (see international student FAQ below).

  • For the 2022 – 2023 academic year, The Cooper Union will require all students, faculty, and staff, except for those with a medical or religious exemption, to be vaccinated with an FDA-authorized or World Health Organization (WHO)-listed vaccine.  

2. Registration

  • How and when do I register for my courses?

    • The registrar will enroll students in courses this summer. Course schedules will be available on August 15. You can look up your schedule in the Course Plan tab in student self-service

      Transfer students will receive a preliminary transfer evaluation letter. You can consult with your advisor and then create your course schedule. You will register for your courses during the first week of classes.

  • How do I submit my final transcript?

    • If your final transcript has not been submitted by the end of your current school year, a hold may be placed on your account. Your high school guidance counselor will need to submit the transcript to us through the Common Application, Naviance, or Parchment. If we do not receive it we will notify you. We do not accept mailed copies. Emailed copies may be sent to, though we strongly prefer they be uploaded to the Common Application, Naviance, or Parchment. 

  • How can I request a leave of absence?

    • Each academic program has their own evaluation process for a leave of absence. Contact either the associate dean or your academic advisor. A medical leave of absence is handled through the dean of students. If you are an international student, you must first discuss your request with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).

3. Housing and Student Life

4. Enrollment, Policies, Etc.

All school policies relating to the code of conduct, alcohol, drugs, smoking, copyrights, sexual assault, non-discrimination, and anti-harassment can be found on the Cooper Union website here. Please ensure that you read these policies before classes begin as you will be responsible for abiding by those policies.

  • How do I register for classes?

    • You will be automatically registered for your first semester and we will register you for your required second semester courses sometime in November. You can access your educational plan (i.e., the list of courses you will be taking throughout your career at Cooper Union) through the Student Self-Service portal. As a first-year student this plan requires the associate dean for academic affairs, professor Ruben Savizky's online approval before it can be accepted by the office of admissions and records. For the subsequent three years, you will be assigned a departmental advisor or advisors who will review and approve your annual plan.

  • How do I make changes to my registration?

    • Changes are currently handled through an “Add/Drop” process that also requires the approval of associate dean for academic affairs, professor Ruben Savizky. The office of admissions and records will process these changes. If a course is dropped between the second and eighth week of the semester, the letter “W” will appear next to the course on your transcript for that course. Please extend the courtesy of promptly informing the instructor by email that you are dropping their course. After the eighth week of the semester students cannot withdraw from a course unless a documented medical or other such extenuating circumstance exists.

  • Who is my academic advisor?

    • Associate dean for academic affairs, professor Ruben Savizky ( is the first-year advisor. In conjunction with your respective department chairperson, he will guide you regarding issues with scheduling, course sections, and any other aspects of your academic pursuits. 

  • Who is my departmental advisor?

    • After the first year, your department chairperson will assign a full-time faculty member to be your advisor. Only a full-time faculty member may serve as an advisor. During your sophomore, junior and senior years, you will complete your course registration with the guidance and approval of your assigned faculty advisor before it is accepted by the office of admissions and records. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor and set up an appointment in a timely manner before you register.

    • Chemical Engineering: Prof. Ogbonnaya Okorafor
    • Civil Engineering: Prof. Vito Guido
    • Electrical Engineering: Prof. Fred Fontaine
    • Mechanical Engineering: Prof. Melody Baglione
    • BSE: Associate for Academic Affairs, Prof. Ruben Savizky
  • What if I want to change my major?

    • First-year students will not be allowed to change majors until after their second semester grades are available. To be considered for a change of major, a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and an approval from the chair of the department they wish to enter is required. Please note, each department has its own specific transfer policies and other factors may influence whether a department can accept a student transfer, such as department class capacity. A “change of major” form is available in the deans office. Students will need to schedule a meeting with associate dean of academic affairs, professor Ruben Savizky to discuss their options. Ultimate approval of the change must come from the dean’s office.

  • What if I need a disability accommodation?

    • Students seeking accommodations due to a condition covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act are required to formally self-identify through the office of dean of students. The dean of students will work with the student to clarify requested accommodations. It is the student’s responsibility to speak directly with each of their faculty members to see how their accommodations can be met in each unique classroom and/or laboratory setting. The dean of students, Chris Chamberlin can be reached by e-mail at

  • What is the policy regarding academic standards and academic probation?

    • Academic probation is the consequence of unsatisfactory scholarship which may involve a compulsory reduction of academic load, interviews with an assigned advisor, and additional academic counseling. The academic standards committee prescribes the conditions that a student must meet before being removed from probation. A student whose semester GPA is 2.0 or lower is on automatic probation and may be considered a candidate for dismissal by the academic standards committee. Please refer to the section entitled: ‘Academic Standards and Regulations’ which can be found here.

    • Students are responsible for seeking out the help they need in succeeding at The Cooper Union. Please reach out to your faculty advisor and department chairs proactively. The rigorous curriculum at The Cooper Union is unlike what is experienced in high school. Faculty and administrators are here to help, but require students to take the first step. Students must take ownership of this experience and take it seriously, as it will set you up for the remainder of your time at Cooper.

    • Professors at The Cooper Union are committed to preserving an environment that challenges every student to realize their potential. You are expected to provide your best efforts in your studies and will be supported to produce original work of the highest caliber. Firm guidelines defining violations of academic integrity are listed in the course catalog under academic standards and regulations. If the definitions of academic integrity are unclear to you, it is your responsibility to review your professor’s policies or to ask your advisor to ensure compliance.

  • What if I need to take a leave of absence?

    • A student who is obliged to leave school temporarily for one or two semesters must contact either their associate dean or academic advisor. If a medical situation is a factor, a consultation with the dean of students, Chris Chamberlain (, is also required. The petition for a leave of absence must be made in writing.

    • A student who has taken a leave of absence may apply for readmission (reinstatement) provided the absence has been for no longer than two semesters. A change in circumstances, which indicates that the educational program may be resumed with a probability of success must be demonstrated. If a medical situation was a factor, a physician’s certificate of fitness to return is also required. Following a leave of absence of more than two semesters will require a petition to the academic standards committee via the dean, or by letter addressed to the chairperson of the academic standards committee.

  • How can I get accommodation if I become ill? How do I take a medical absence?

    • We cannot accommodate you in terms of allowances, make-up examinations, etc., unless we have documented evidence from the treating medical professional concerning an illness. You must notify the dean of students ( so that your professors can be informed of your condition. Debilitating physical or psychological issues should be reported to the dean of students so that you can be advised about finding suitable help.

    • Attendance policies are set for each course by individual faculty members. The expectation is that students will attend every class. Students who have medical excuses for missing class should contact the dean of students promptly. Students will be required to provide the dean of students with documentation from a medical provider justifying the absence. The dean of students will inform faculty when an absence is due to a valid medical issue/condition so that the absence can be considered excused. It is important to note that even with excused medical absences a student is still responsible for completing all of the course requirements. For many courses attendance is a vital component of the classroom learning experience. If in the opinion of his or her faculty a student’s absences have resulted in him or her missing vital components of in-class discussions and experiences, the student may be required to withdraw from a course and retake it even with valid medical excuses. In addition to communicating with the dean of students, students must remain in regular communication with their faculty when they need to miss a class. The dean of students, Chris Chamberlin can be reached by e-mail at

  • Can I resign from Cooper? 

    • A student may “resign” at any time in writing. A resignation is permanent and is accompanied by a separation notice that is placed in the student’s file. A “resignation” form is available in the deans’ office.

  • When are classes held?

    • Classes start on the hour and end ten minutes before the end of that hour. For classes of more than 50 minutes in duration, suitable breaks will be given. If a course is not following this timing, please contact the office of the dean of engineering. 

  • When are club hours?

    • Club hours are between 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm on Tuesdays and 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm on Thursdays. Use of club hours for academic purposes is strictly forbidden, this includes makeup classes, examinations (except for placement exams), etc. If a class or other class activity is scheduled during club hours, please report it to the office of the dean of engineering.

  • Will I receive credit for internships and research?

    • The Cooper Union School of Engineering does not grant credit for programs of study or research, nor internships other than those specifically pre-approved by the appropriate department in the School of Engineering and the engineering dean’s office. Credit for programs of study or research or internships is not granted retroactively. In addition, it is never possible for students to receive both academic credit and a salary/stipend (if one is offered) for an academic program.

  • What do I do about courses taken at other schools?

    • If you wish to take a course elsewhere and want the credit transferred to The Cooper Union, the course must be pre-approved by the chair of the appropriate Cooper Union department and engineering dean’s office. A “transfer of credits” form must also be completed and submitted to the office of admission and records. The form is available in the dean's office. Please note that some required courses in many departments may not be replaced by courses taken elsewhere. In order to get a course pre-approved, bring as much course documentation (i.e., course syllabus and textbook) as you can to the chair of the appropriate department to have the course assessed. These materials must also include your official transcript. The course must be judged to be equivalent to one taught at Cooper. Note that credits may be transferred only when a grade of “B” or better (not B-) has been achieved. The grade will not be factored into your GPA.

  • Does Cooper offer a “five-year plan”?

    • Our undergraduate School of Engineering programs are designed to be completed in four years; extensions are uncommon and are only granted by the dean in exceptional circumstances. In some cases, students may be required to complete courses elsewhere at their own expense, but only with pre-approval of the departmental chairperson in which the course is offered at Cooper Union.

  • How many credits are required for full-time student status? 

    • You must enroll in at least 12 credits per semester to be considered a full-time student. Failure to maintain a 12-credit load has important consequences for your mandatory health insurance coverage and student loans. Medical insurance for international students taking less than 12-credits a semester may be affected as well, however, their F-1 status will not.

  • What is the Humanities and Social Sciences program? 

    • Cooper Union is comprised of four faculties—Art, Architecture, Engineering and Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS). Adding, dropping, or section changes of humanities courses, require the approval of the humanities faculty. The HSS dean’s office is on the 3rd floor of 41 Cooper Square.

  • How can I address safety, security, and campus emergencies?

    • Cooper Union is committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students, staff, and faculty. All laboratory personnel and professors will review safety procedures posted in their labs before you start working with them.

    • If you witness any safety violations while on campus, you are strongly urged to report them to the supervising staff member and/or professor. Remember, you are an integral part of keeping our campus safe and secure. Every active student will be provided with a photo identification card that must be swiped to gain entry into 41 Cooper Square, the Foundation Building, and the Residence Hall. Visitors can be signed in through the dean’s office. Host students must accompany their guests at all times. Visitor(s) passes are issued in the dean’s office, Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm.

  • Is it possible to receive a course substitution?

    • In consultation with the student, a department may substitute up to twelve (12) credits of required courses with other coursework at The Cooper Union. The intent of the faculty is to permit flexibility within the curricula and to allow the possibility of tailoring a program to a student’s particular goals. A waiver request must first be approved by the corresponding department chair and then countersigned by the office of the dean.

    • Please note the engineering departments have varying policies regarding courses taken outside The Cooper Union. Substitutions are not allowed for core courses.

5. Financial Aid

  • Will my financial aid eligibility be the same all four years?

    • Students are required to complete the FAFSA each year by our priority dates which will determine eligibility. Some common causes for change in future financial aid awards include a change in family income, a change in the number of family members in college, and a change to household size.

  • Do I have to maintain a minimum GPA to remain eligible for financial aid?

    • You must maintain a 2.00 GPA per semester and be registered full time to receive Institutional financial aid. 

  • Will my financial aid change if I had originally planned to live on campus for fall and now will be living at home?  

    • It depends on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA. For more detailed information, please schedule an online meeting to speak with a financial aid officer. 

  • Will I lose my financial aid if I my GPA is below 2.0?

    • Yes. Students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress which means they must maintain a minimum GPA and be considered a full-time student. Students on academic probation for two semesters are ineligible for federal financial aid. All Cooper Union scholarships and grants require a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students who fall below 2.0 will be notified and offered a range of support based on the challenges they are facing. Please review our satisfactory academic progress policy here

  • How do outside scholarships affect my Cooper Union financial aid award?

    • The impact of external scholarships on your award depends on the conditions or requirements of the donors. In certain cases, your outside scholarship may impact your financial aid package.

  • May I request a re-evaluation of my financial aid package? 

    • You can submit a request to have your financial aid award reconsidered for one of the following reasons: 

      • Your family’s financial circumstances have changed since you originally submitted the FAFSA application

      • Your family’s financial circumstances are complex in nature, and you would like us to re-review the file with new information or clarification not previously submitted.

    • As appeals vary and can be sensitive in nature, we recommend that you review our appeal process and complete the financial aid appeal process form.

  • What if my financial aid application is still incomplete?

    • If your financial aid application was incomplete at the time of admission, you can still complete it in a very timely manner and receive a financial aid evaluation. Please upload and attach the documents via your student self-service account. We no longer accept any required financial aid verification documents to be sent via email. If you have any questions regarding any verification-related questions, please contact or schedule an online meeting to speak with financial aid officer.

  • Will I lose other financial aid if I receive a scholarship?

    • All financial aid is based upon your financial need. Since a scholarship reduces your need, you will require less financial aid to meet your educational expenses. You must notify the office of financial aid if you receive any scholarships, loans or grants from any source so that your need may be reappraised.

  • What are the requirements to accept a Federal Stafford Loan?

    • You need to accept the loan through the student self service portal. You will also be required to complete federal entrance counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note.

    • For the parent plus loan, parents must complete the plus loan application and sign a Master Promissory Note.

  • I do not want to borrow the full amount of Federal Stafford Loan. Can I ask for less? 

    • Yes. When you receive your Federal Stafford Loan Acceptance Agreement, request only the amount you will need for the academic year. Please contact the office of financial aid if you have already received your loan and wish to return a portion of the funds.

  • Can I receive financial aid to live off-campus even though my parents live within commuting distance to the school?

    • Yes, you may opt to live in off-campus housing near school. You will be required to provide a copy of your signed, valid lease or sublease. If subleasing, please provide a notarized letter with a copy of the signed lease by the person whose name appears on the lease; the landlord must also sign the lease. If you do not submit required documentation your financial aid application will default to commuter status.

  • Can I file my financial aid application independent of my parents?

    • All applicants for federal student aid are considered independent or dependent. For detailed information on your dependency status, please visit here

  • What is Verification?

    • Your application may be selected for a review called "verification". We will ask you to provide certain types of financial documentation to verify that the information you provided is correct.
      The verification documents can be viewed via your student self-service portal. Forms are also available here. You will need to upload required additional documents via your student self-service portal. We will compare both the FAFSA and the worksheet. If there are differences, your FAFSA information may need to be corrected.

  • What will my bill look like?    

    • We do not send paper bills. You can view your bill by logging in to the student self-service portal after July 5. All Cooper Union students will receive a billing notice via email. Students must review the bill and make their payment by the due date.  

  • Does Cooper Union offer a payment plan?

    • Yes. The payment plan starts August 5 and ends April 5. Payment plans are per semester, the first payment for fall is August 5. 
      There is a $50 enrollment fee per semester, per enrollment plan. This fee will be charged to your account at the time of your payment plan enrollment. 

  • How do I enroll in direct deposit?

    • Please review detailed instructions for direct deposit sign up here

  • What is the difference between subsidized loans and unsubsidized loans?

    • The federal government pays the interest for a subsidized loan while the student is enrolled. With an unsubsidized loan, the student is responsible for the interest while in school with the option to defer payments until after graduation. The interest on the unsubsidized loan starts accruing as soon as the loan is disbursed.

  • What loans are available to Cooper Union students?

    • Loan information is available here

  • How do I retrieve my 1098IT tax form?

    • You can retrieve the 1098IT tax form online by logging into your student self-service portal under tax information. Please contact for questions.

6. Work-Study

  • What is Federal Work-Study?

    • Federal Work-Study is a program based on financial need that allows students to work part-time. Funds earned through employment will assist students with their educational expenses and will be paid to the students for hours worked. Cooper does not apply money earned through work study to tuition payments. Please review Federal Work-Study information here.

  • How do students apply for a campus job?

    • There are two types of jobs available, one paid by various departments/schools at The Cooper Union and the other is paid through the Federal Work-Study program. Eligibility for Federal Work-Study is determined by the FAFSA. The financial aid award will indicate whether a student is eligible for Federal Work-Study. Students must meet with a financial aid counselor regarding the hiring process. Students are paid directly; their earnings are not applied toward their tuition bill. Students who are not eligible for Federal Work-Study can search and apply for campus jobs here. Contact to start the process. 

7. Health Insurance

  • How do I submit the immunization form?  

    • The deadline for submitting medical visit forms is June 5 by 5pm. Those that have not submitted forms by the deadline will be assessed a $100 fee. There are no exceptions. Contact Eric Conley at with any questions. Student health forms are required for all new incoming students. Completed forms must be submitted through the applicant portal or emailed to

  • How do I notify The Cooper Union that I have health insurance through my parent(s)?

    • Health insurance is automatically billed with your tuition on every student bill. If you wish to decline coverage you must request the insurance waiver through the health insurance company. If you do not decline coverage by October 15 you will be responsible for the charges. If you are planning to use your own insurance, you will need to submit proof of coverage and should ask your provider if you are covered in New York state. For additional information, please visit the health insurance company website.

    • International students, please see FAQ below for more information.

  • What mental health resources are available to Cooper students? 

    • During the academic year we offer several different types of mental health resources, drop-in and scheduled sessions with Cooper counselors are available. We also have short-term counseling with our network of off-campus counselors via www.CooperCare a tele-health service that is accessed through their website or phone app and provides services for physical health issues, brief and immediate mental health support, and ongoing, scheduled therapy sessions. 

8. International Students

  • As an F-1 student, must I have health insurance and purchase it through Cooper? Is the insurance I already have from my home country not good enough? Where do I go to see a doctor or find more information about medical issues and health?

    • All F-1 students must have medical Insurance prior to their arrival in the U.S. Cooper provides health insurance for all students through Wellfleet. Students who are covered under their own or their parent's insurance policy may choose to waive The Cooper Union Accident & Sickness plan if their insurance plan is active and verified to encompass all requirements. To enroll or waive the health insurance plan, you must access the plan at using your Cooper Union ID number. If you do not waive it by the deadline provided, you will be automatically charged for the year. For further information, please contact
  • What is a DSO?

    • The U.S. government calls university staff members that can update SEVIS and issue I-20’s DSOs or PDSOs, which stands for “Designated School Official” or “Primary Designated School Official”. DSOs can answer your questions and guide you through the process of studying in the United States. All SEVP‑certified schools are required to have DSOs that are certified to communicate with SEVP, update your student record, and have the knowledge to help you maintain your student status by providing advice or helping you fill out important government documents.
  • What is an I-20?

    • All F and M students that study in the United States need a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” Once accepted into a school such as Cooper, international students will need to submit a request for an I-20 from their designated school official (DSO). You must also obtain a I-20 form for any eligible dependents you plan to bring to the United States with you. Financial documentation that provides proof of support is required to obtain an I-20.
  • How do I request my I-20? 

    • The international students and scholars office (ISSO) will email you next steps once you are admitted to Cooper. If you have questions or misplaced that email from ISSO, please visit this webpage or contact ISSO at
  • When will my I-20 arrive?  

    • The usual process for an I-20 request is 2-3 weeks after all completed documents have been submitted and verified. If you have any questions about your I-20, please contact ISSO at
  • I have a visa interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but I don’t have my I-20 yet. What should I do? Will I still get the visa?

    • You can schedule your visa appointment as soon as you receive your SEVIS number from your DSO but you must have your emailed I-20 with you when you attend the interview appointment. For all U.S. visa questions, please visit
  • When can I enter the U.S.?

    • Students may enter the U.S. in “INITIAL” F-1 status (as new international student, not a SEVIS transfer student) up to 30 days before the program start date on their I-20. The earliest date to enter the U.S. is always printed on the I-20 document.
  • May I Enter before the 30-day window? (not recommended!)

    • Entering the U.S. earlier than the 30-day window, before your program start date is not recommended.  Customs and Border officers will NOT accept an I-20 and matching F-1 visa before the 30 days unless:
      • Students are transferring their SEVIS record from another school, such as a high school or community college, and received a “transfer pending” I-20. They may enter the U.S. anytime prior to the I-20 start date.
      • Students that show either a valid tourist visa or permit to enter under the Visa Waiver Program. However, this student will be required to exit and re-enter the U.S. again using the F-1 visa and I-20 to “activate” F-1 status prior to the start of their program date.
  • Am I allowed multiple exits and re-entries to the U.S. during the 30-day arrival window (not recommended!)

    • Making multiple trips in and out of the U.S. during the 30-day arrival window is not recommended. Students who try this often find that reentry at the U.S. border is very difficult. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officials expect new students who just arrived to be on campus, attending orientation and starting classes. When a new student leaves the country and tries to reenter, CBP officials may ask many questions about class enrollment, the orientation schedule, and why “you are not” at school.
  • What documents do I need to show to enter the U.S.?

    • Students should have the following documents in their carry-on bag. Do not put these travel documents in checked suitcases:
      • Passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
      • F-1 (Canadian citizens exempt)
      • SEVIS Form I-20 (F-1) signed by your DSO and you
      • SEVIS fee receipt
      • Supporting financial documentation (most students use the same documents submitted for their visa application)
      • Cooper’s letter of acceptance and financial aid document
    • It is also recommended to review the website for up-to-date information on travel to the U.S. and visa information
  • I am new to Cooper Union and have questions regarding the various Orientations. Which do I attend? 

    • The Cooper Union orientation is a mandatory program for all new and transfer students. Fall dates will be posted in the spring and emailed to all new students. During orientation you will learn about degree requirements, meet your classmates, meet faculty and staff, and learn about campus. This is your opportunity to ask questions you may have before the semester starts. For further information about orientation, please contact
    • International Orientation is a separate session with a mandatory check-in that must be made with your DSO. ISSO will send you all the information prior to your arrival to the U.S. Our ISSO orientation will prepare you for the cultural transition and provide you with very important information on how to maintain your visa status while you’re in the U.S. You must bring your passport and provide your local N.Y. address and phone number during this session.   
  • How can I pay tuition and how much is tuition?

    • For questions regarding your tuition bill, please contact the office of student accounts at  International students who do not hold U.S. citizenship or permanent residency are responsible for an additional nonrefundable international student fee of $1,005 per semester. The fee will be charged once you are registered for classes and is due with your tuition bill.   
  • How can I obtain a document to prove I'm a student at Cooper Union?

  • I attended an International High School abroad for over three years, can I request a waiver on my English Language Proficiency exam? 

    • If you have attended 3 years of an American or International High School where English is the primary language of instruction, contact to request a waiver. You might be asked to take the DET English proficiency exam. That can be done online with results available within 48 hours. For further information on English language proficiency requirements, please email
  • What does an International Student transfer mean exactly?

    • Students who are currently studying in an F-1 status at another school in the U.S., no matter what degree level, need to have their SEVIS record “transferred” to The Cooper Union. Only one school at a time is allowed access to a student’s SEVIS record. In order for The Cooper Union to issue a new I-20 for a student, the current school of attendance must transfer the student’s SEVIS record to The Cooper Union. The Cooper Union’s DSO is the only one that is able to process a transfer. For further information, please email Hala Alkasm, director of ISSO at
  • While attending The Cooper Union on an F-1, can I work or find a paid internship? Where can I learn more about F-1 employment regulations and options?

    • It is possible to be employed on campus for less than 20 hours per week while school is in session, and up to 40 hours per week when school is on break. Off-campus employment is only allowed with prior authorization from either your DSO or USCIS. Review the F-1 employment options here for more information about employment eligibility and be on the lookout for organized ISSO employment workshops available at Cooper throughout the year. 
  • How do I get a social security number or driver’s license so I can work on or off campus?

    • Talk with the DSO about working and training in the United States. You can review information regarding international student employment here. The DSO will provide important information and required documents that are needed to qualify for a social security number or driver’s license.
  • How can I learn more about the F-1 regulations? 

    • The ISSO will provide information sessions throughout the year. Make sure to check your Cooper email for all campus notices and emails from your DSO or go to: and view our ISSO website.
  • I am an exchange international student.  What do I need to know?

    • Exchange international students will receive their student handbook by email, and an orientation meeting will be scheduled within the first two weeks of classes. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Beth Slack in the engineering deans’ office at or Frances Green in the art deans' office at

9. Key Contacts at Cooper

Office of Admissions –
Office of Financial Aid –
International Students and Scholars Office –
Office of the Registrar –

  • Founded by inventor, industrialist and philanthropist Peter Cooper in 1859, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art offers education in art, architecture and engineering, as well as courses in the humanities and social sciences.

  • “My feelings, my desires, my hopes, embrace humanity throughout the world,” Peter Cooper proclaimed in a speech in 1853. He looked forward to a time when, “knowledge shall cover the earth as waters cover the great deep.”

  • From its beginnings, Cooper Union was a unique institution, dedicated to founder Peter Cooper's proposition that education is the key not only to personal prosperity but to civic virtue and harmony.

  • Peter Cooper wanted his graduates to acquire the technical mastery and entrepreneurial skills, enrich their intellects and spark their creativity, and develop a sense of social justice that would translate into action.