The Cooper Union’s Department of Mechanical Engineering will produce broadly- and rigorously-educated graduates, able to practice professionally, pursue advanced studies and innovate in a wide range of fields. Together with our faculty and staff, our students will develop a commitment toward lifelong interdisciplinary learning, fulfill their potential for responsible leadership and inspire others to continuously pursue excellence by example.
The Mechanical Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Within a few years of graduation, our graduates will:
- Apply their broad and rigorous education to responsible, interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Embrace leadership or collaborative roles in innovative undertakings that take on technological, sustainability, economic, or societal challenges.
- Take the initiative to expand their abilities through self-study, professional development, or the pursuit of graduate or professional degrees.
At the conclusion of the ME program, our students will have:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice