Posted On: December 08, 2017
Hours: Full Time
The Director of Facilities and Security is responsible for overall facilities planning and operations, facilities and grounds maintenance, facilities engineering, campus safety and security. This position provides leadership in the planning and design for new or renovated facilities and the overall project management of facility modification and space management.
- Provide leadership in the areas of facilities planning and operations, buildings and grounds, maintenance, facilities engineering, and safety and security.
- Oversee the selection, training and development of technical craftsmen, operating engineers, housekeeping, grounds, and utility and custodial staff – internal and external contracted efforts – to ensure alignment with industry standards.
- Manage the performance of direct reports to ensure departmental goals and objectives are met.
- Manage the execution of engineer and trades contracts including scope development negotiation, administration, review, acceptance, advertising, and contract award.
- Develop proposals and engineering detail for systems of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, storm-water, and fire protection.
- Review work drawings and specifications for code compliance with project criteria.
- Manage building automation, fire detection and energy systems and programs.
- Provide long range planning for improvements in operations and efficiencies to the general development of the College with particular emphasis on mechanical and electrical systems.
- Direct security and safety operations and training for the campus.
- Consult with other departments and internal constituents of the College concerning facilities projects, timelines and implementation.
- Provide project management for facility modifications and/or assigned projects.
- Develop and execute the department’s preventive maintenance program and engineering standards.
- Develop cost estimates and cost alternatives for proposed facility modifications.
- Manage contracts for the renovation and expansion of College facilities.
- Supervise, inspect, and approve contractor work; monitor project progress and maintain records to support payments for construction projects.
- Maintain project schedules, budget development, budget control, minority participation reporting and comprehensive financial reporting for all construction/facility renewal projects.
- Serve as liaison with federal, state, and local authorities concerning construction modification and repair of facilities.
- Ensure College compliance with existing building codes, local zoning and other regulations governing the College’s facility design and operation. Liaison with local fire and police departments on safety and security issues.
- Support procurement efforts to maximize minority opportunities in contract services and products.
- Deliver quality customer service to both internal and external constituents in a professional, helpful and courteous manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of management experience within facilities operations required.
- Previous management experience, including oversight of external architect, engineering and construction teams required.
- Previous experience managing budgets required.
- Previous experience in the coordination of efforts with state and local authorities for code and construction approvals required.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully completing complex construction projects in a project team lead role required.
- Previous experience using Project and MS software required.
- Previous experience working in a unionized work environment required.
- Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.
- Experience managing security required.
- Experience managing the operations of multiple buildings/campus facilities and construction projects preferred.
- Work experience in higher education setting preferred.
This is a non-union position.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
30 Cooper Square, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Or email to: email@example.com