Chih-Shing (Stan) Wei
George Clark Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Chair
Since joining Cooper Union in 1988, Dr. Wei has developed Cooper’s Manufacturing and Industrial Robotics Lab, and taught courses in manufacturing engineering, computer-aided design/manufacturing/engineering, industrial robotics, and mobile robotics. More recently, Dr. Wei has expanded his research interests into biomedical engineering and published reports/papers in the areas of arthroplasty instrumentation and replacement knee component design.
Ph.D. (ME), Georgia Institute of Technology
M.S. (ME), State University of New York at Buffalo
B.S. (ME), National Chung Hsing University, Taiwan
- U.S. Pat. No. 8,829,326; EP 2 095 440 B1; CA 2671995 (September 2014)
- U.S. Pat. No. 8,808,051 (August 2014)
- U.S. Pat. No. 8,418,342; EP 2 148 991 B1; CA 2685530 (April 2013)
- U.S. Pat. No. 7,393,168 (July 2008)
- U.S. Pat. No. 7,153,074 (December 2006)
- U.S. Pat. No. 6,022,314 (February 2000)
- R. Dell, R. Unthorsson , C. Wei, and W. Foley, Supercapacitors and Battery Configuration for Utilizing a Thermoelectric Generator to Power a Web-Accessible Robotics Monitoring System, ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress, November 2014.
- M. Chaudhary, J. Bosco, C. Wei, P. Walker, Investigation of Two Novel Compartmental Knee Component Designs for Medial Osteoarthritis, Orthopaedic Research Society 2014 Annual Meeting, March 2014.
- J. Bos, R.Dell, C. Wei, and W. Foley, Developing a Methodology for Measuring the Comparative Energy Efficiency of Elevators, ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress, November 2013.
- R. Dell, R. Unnthorsson, C. Wei, G. Sidebitham, M. Jonsson, W. Foley, E. Ginzburg, S. Paul, S. Kim, and A. Morris, Thermoelectric-Based Power Generator for Powering Microcontroller Based Security Camera, ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress, November 2012.
- N. Wong, C. Wei, P. Walker, Multi-planar Visualization of Tibial Bone Density Distribution from a Tibial CAT Scan Dataset, Orthopaedic Research Society 2012 Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- R. Dell, C. Wei, G. Sidebotham, M. T. Jonsson, and R. Unnþórsson, A Thermoelectric-Based Point of Use Power Generator for Steam Pipes, Geothermal Council (GRC) Transactions, Vol. 35, 2011.
- R. Dell, C. Wei, G. Sidebotham, V. Guido, J. Cataldo, R. Unnþórsson, M. T. Jonsson, T. Þórðarson, K. Smolar, and A. Bronfman, Geothermal Heat in Agriculture: Preliminary Results of an Energy Intensive System in Iceland, Geothermal Council (GRC) Transactions, Vol. 35, 2011, also published in Geo-Heat Center Quarterly Bulletin, Vol. 30, No. 3, November 2011.
- P. Walker, D. Parakh, M. Chaudhary, C. Wei, Comparison of Interface Stresses and Strains for Onlay and Inlay Unicompartmental Tibial Components, The Journal of Knee Surgery, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 109-115, 2011.
- R. Forman, M. Balicki, P. Walker, C. Wei, G. Klein, Application of Instrumented Linkage for TKR Surgery, Navigation and MIS in Orthopedic Surgery, Ed. Stiehl James B, Konermann Werner H, Haaker Rolf G and DiGioia Anthony M III, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2007.
- P. Walker, C. Wei, R. Forman, M. Balicki, Development and Evaluation of an Instrumented Linkage System for Total Knee Surgery, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, No. 463, pp. 68-73, 2007.
- M. Balicki, R. Forman, P. Walker, C. Wei, B. White, G. Klein, Novel Navigation Technique for Jig Placement in Total Knee Replacement Using an Instrumented Linkage, Orthopaedic Research Society Transactions Vol. 31, Chicago, IL, March 2006.
- P. Walker, C. Wei, R. Forman, M. Balicki, Total Knee Surgical Technique Using an Instrumented Linkage for MIS Approaches, Exhibit at AAOS Zimmer Technical Suite, Washington DC, February 25-27, 2005.
- P. Walker, C. Wei, R. Forman, Chap. 18: Freehand Navigation for Bone Shaping, Minimally Invasive Total Joint Arthroplasty, ed. W. Hozack, et al, Springer Medizin Verlag Heidelberg, Germany, 2004.
- R.E. Forman, P.S. Walker, C. Wei, K. Iesaka, M. Balicki, D.E. Kim, An Instrumented Linkage Navigation System for Knee Replacement Surgery, MIS Meets CAOS, Naples, FL, October 28, 2004.
- K. Iesaka, P.S. Walker, R.E. Forman, D.E. Kim, Y.G. Patel, C. Wei, M. Balicki, Accuracy of Freehand Cutting in Simulated Total Knee Surgery, CAOS International, Chicago, IL, June 16-19, 2004.
- R.E. Forman, P.S. Walker, C. Wei, H. Haider, M. Balicki, G. Aggarwal, Computer-Assisted Freehand Navigation for TKR, CAOS International, Chicago, IL, June 16-19, 2004.
- R.M. Said, P.S. Walker, K. Iesaka, D.E. Kim, C. Wei, Factors Influencing Flexion in Total Knee Replacement, the Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 7-10, 2004.
- J. Kim, K. Iesaka, J. Cruickshank, P. Walker, C. Wei, Instrument Navigation System for Minimally Invasive Unicompartmental Knee Replacement, Biomedical Engineering Recent Developments, Medical and Engineering Publishers, Inc., 2002.
- C. Wei, An Undergraduate Product Realization and Prototyping Workcell, Proceedings of the 1999 ASEE Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, June 21-23, 1999.