Painting with Water-Based Media Supply List
Acrylic paints will be supplied for first class (purchased with materials fee).
Quality varies. Purchase highest quality you can afford but avoid sets in brands other than those mentioned here: Schmincke, Sennelier, Winsor Newton, Old Holland are very best. Grumbacher, Utrecht's brand and W/N Cotman are less expensive student grade and are fine for this class.
- Cadmium Red or similar less expensive red you like (cadmiums are always more expensive)?
- Alizarin Crimson
- Cadmium Yellow or other similar one?
- Hookers Green or Sap Green
- Ultramarine Blue?
- Prussian Blue or Indigo
- Dioxazine Purple (Winsor Violet)?
- Other useful colors:
- Quinacridone Magenta (or Opera Rose)
- Raw umber, Burnt umber, Yellow Ochre?, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna
Several sheets of 100% cotton watercolor paper such as Arches, Fabriano, etc.
20" x 30" 140#, hot press or cold press (to be torn into quarters) recommended
pads of acid free, archival watercolor paper OK too, #140
Bring whatever you have on hand. Your preferences for brushes is personal and your choices will develop as class progresses. The following brands and shapes are recommended for watercolor and gouache:
Silverwhite series 1500, round pointed 1/2" and 1/4" in diameter recommended , flat or filbert (size is your choice)
Princeton Art & Brush Co. 6300 Series, round and 1/2" and 1/4" in diameter recommended and flat or filbert (size is your choice)
- Acrylic brushes: bristle or synthetic, 1/2" diameter round and 3/4" flat or filbert shaped
- Masking tape
- Pad of disposable wax paper palettes are very convenient for mixing acrylic and gouache. Best for easy clean up.
- Metal or plastic palettes with wells are good for watercolor
- Rags and/or paper towels
- 2 or 3 water containers (deli containers or glass jars are fine)
Windsor Newton Designer Gouache or Turner Designer Gouache highly recommended 14 ml. tubes. AVOID "Acrylic Gouache" as it has an acrylic base
Beginner sets of Windsor Newton could be cost effective, supplemented with individual tubes of recommended colors:
- Red - Primary Red, Spectral Red OR Jewel Red
- Blues - Ultramarine Blue AND Prussian Blue
- Yellows - Spectral or Primary Yellow (Lemon Yellow is also usefull)
- Orange -your choice
- Purple - Iris, Deep Violet OR Deep Purple
- Green -Optional, try any one you like
- Black - several different kinds (warm and cool) try anyone you like
- Titanium White - get largest tube available (avoid ZINK white)
other useful colors:
- Magenta or Bengal Rose
- Raw Umber, Burnt umber, Raw Sienna and Burnt sienna
See our list of art supply vendors